The night before, decided to get up early and go to Cordoba to see where we can apply for our NIE. It is different in every Province, but the options are National Police Station, Foreigners Office or Town Hall.
Well we knew where the National Police Station was – No No not for that reason. It was near where we park for 1.10 Euro/day. Well a nice Guard on the steps directed us to Subdelegacion de Gobierno, a couple of minutes walk from there.
We went in a briefly explained to the Guard in the Reception and he gave us a ticket and pointed to the waiting room. Well it didn’t look that busy and the numbers were moving fast, in fact we were only in there 10 minutes. Meanwhile I had received a call from Clare at Advance Moves saying that there was a bit of a problem, I had been quoted for and signed documents to remove 75cubic feet, however, the storage was more. And they didn’t have a big enough van. I said the storage is 75 square feet and roughly 6 foot high. Ooops, my mis calculation error was now going to cost me an extra £1,200. Well we decided that as they had already taken some of the things, if they put them back it would cost me more without actually removing anything, so decided, just go for it. And our things will be here soon.
Anyway back to the waiting room - our number came up and we went to Mesa 3 (desk 3) as indicated. I had already translated via my best friend Google what I wanted to say. But the woman just stared at me with a clueless expression on her face, spoke to her colleague on Mesa 2. She asked for my Passport and said we needed Mesa 7 or 8. So off we went round the corner to desks 7 and 8, but the Guard stopped us and pointed to a sign. Which said they are open from 12 – 13.30 but it was only 11.15. So we went back to the car for snacks a refuelling.
12.10 we went back the Guard gave us another ticket, once again we were only waiting a short time. Our number came up, Mesa 7. But you can always tell when something isn’t going to go your way when the person at the desk has a face like a wet weekend, and once she see’s you rolls her eyes (with an expression of what the hell do they want now? Don’t you lot know it’s Friday?). Well I wasn’t going to let that stop me, she spoke no English at all (which I thought was weird for a Foreigners Office), or maybe didn’t want to! She didn’t understand a word I said, garbbled something to her mate next door and in a dismissive tone said something which we took to mean, when you have someone who can translate in person then I can help you. With a nice friendly smile on our face, I said in Spanish thank you very much for your help, good bye!
Please just let me say this, the miserable Senora at Mesa 7 was not a typical Spanish Civil Servant, both the National Police, the Town Hall and another Government office we went into by accident, although they too didn’t speak a word of English were most friendly and helpful too. She just obviously wasn’t quite feeling herself that day!
This lady had, how the expression goes – got my goat (no offence to goats intended) and I was going to do whatever we need to do to get our NIE! So off home for a snack and to the internet cafe, to a website that I found when we were in the UK. And downloaded a printed off the forms in duplicate that we needed, took more copies of our passports. We also spoke to Ana the lady who had just set up a Language school to see if she could translate at the office with us, but she was busy and put us in touch with a Language University in Cordoba, who may be able to help.
The University was helpful they said they thought you had to make appointments now as this had happened to a couple of their students.
So my best friend Google helped me translate a list of questions, so no matter what the confusion maybe, if I handed over one of their Applications the penny would drop!
No comments:
Post a Comment