Glorious bright and already hot sunny day, so Karate will be on the grass under the trees.
Corrine backed out, no longer wants to do Karate with Sensei Daddy, because it's too hard. Basically with only three of us she has to do more, and Paul notices when she's not wanting to even try her best.
That's fine, we have always said they should only do it if they want to. Just because we do a particular sport doesn't mean they have to too. You have to follow your heart and do what you love, be it sport, work, or lifestyle.
It was a good session, Paul videos them now both to help us see what we are doing and where we need to improve, but also for some of his work too. He showed us how to do a forward roll, yes I know, I thought I knew how to do this properly until he instructed how to not let your head bear your weight. This would aid if you wanted to get out of a situation quickly. Then Kata work, bit tricky as I needed to cut the grass so kept getting my feet stuck on my turns. Good practice though.
Now pool time!!
Not for now though, I was just putting out some washing before preparing lunch when I heard a rather loud splat!
I looked around, just happened to look down beside the table and saw a baby bird, literally must have only hatched within the last couple of days. No feathers and eyes still shut. But as it's little heart was pounding so fast - I just had to try and help this little life survive. But in the back of my mind was this some sort of warning for Paul because he blocked up the hole ??
All the family involved - Ethan was Googling what to do when you find a baby bird. Corrine and Aston were trying to dig for tiny tiny worms, then chop them up as the birds beak was so tiny. Paul was helping me sort accommodation and items required. Conclusion we needed to get it to a Wildlife Sanctury - but even if we found one, it was the weekend, and I couldn't phone them because they wouldn't understand English. So we would have to try and do our best.
We found you could give them boiled egg yolk mixed with milk til very thin, I had already started to give the bird water through a childs medicine syringe and poor little thing was very thirsty. Paul had to open his beak as I was too scared I would hurt it trying to hold the syringe as well.
The bird would need feeding at least every hour, day and night. Within the next couple of hours, we didn't need to open it's beak. It opened it by itself chirping! What a lovely sight and sound to hear.
I was concerned the box we had was too big and asked Corrine to sacrifice her pretty box that her new sandals came in. She did, but not without a moan. So I reiterated that it could be a matter of life and death as the bird needs to keep warm. Anyway what we didn't have though was heat. Apart from the sun, so we put a papertowel over the top and put it in the sun and a little peace and quite.
Now time for lunch, but it was chicken! I didn't mention it to the kids but I just felt funny eating it. Seeing that little bird struggling for it's life. Now known as Gerald - I don't know why but that name just popped into my head..
Lunch over, now time for the pool. And to work off some more calories. Aaah it was great.
Ethan and Corrine showered themselves before dinner. But blue skies were no more - Gerald sadly passed away later that evening! I was quite upset inside. But at least he had a fight for survival and wasn't savagely eaten by another animal - that's what I tried to explain to Corrine who was mortified - a little for the bird - but I think mainly that her pretty shoe box served a purpose that failed! That's my thoughts anyway. I checked every few hours, but he had definitely left life.
A sad ending to the day, but
No comments:
Post a Comment